It’s that time again…Back to School! I always like to start the school year with a new project, so let’s sew up these cute pencil pouches for the kids and maybe one for yourself too.
As I was looking for said new project, I found the perfect pencil case tutorial at Sew4Home, and knew this would be great for my kids.
- 1/4 yard of fabric (exterior) you will need a bit more if your fabric has a directional print.
- 1/4 yard of fabric ( lining)
- 9″ zipper
- 1 small carabiner
- 3″ of coordinating ribbon
- One button
- Iron and ironing board
- Scissors, rotary cutter and mat
- Optional: zipper pull, or cording with bead for a zipper pull
- Cut 2) 10″ x 7″ rectangles for the exterior of the case
- Cut 2) 10″ x 7″ rectangles for the lining of the case
- Cut 1) 8″ x 6″ rectangle for the front pocket
- Cut 1) 4″ x4″ square for pocket loop
- Take the 8″x 6″pocket piece and press both long sides under 1/2″ and one of the short ends.
- Sew button into place in the center of the pocket on top of the stitch line.
- On the opposite short end, hem it under 1/2″, then press under again 1″, pin in place, and stitch with a top stitch.
- Then take the 4″ x 4″ piece for the loop, fold it in half diagonally , right sides together to form a triangle.
- Stitch 1/2″ away from the fold, this makes it a bias cut which will help it curve to make the loop.
- Once sewn, trim 1/4″ away from stitch line, turn right side out and press.
- Place pocket right side up on the exterior piece of fabric , positioning 2 1/4″ away from both short sides of 10 x 7″ exterior piece and 1″ away from top and bottom.
- Slide loop under pocket and adjust fit with your button.
- Stitch securely in place (go back and forth several times).
- Stitch pocket in place with a top stitch, backstitching at the beginning and the end.
- Place finished top piece right side up on work surface.
- Take zipper and lay it upside down on (teeth facing down) the edge of zipper should line up with top raw edge of fabric, pin in place.
- Lay 10″ x 7″ lining piece on top of pinned edge with zipper, and pin all three layers together.
- Attach your zipper foot to your machine. Begin sewing the zipper, when you get 3/4″ away from the end, stop with your needle in the down position, turn your fabric toward you, open zipper, turn fabric back into position and finish sewing into place.
- When finished it should have the zipper in the middle of the two fabrics. Fold wrong sides together and press.
- Repeat this process on the other side of the zipper.
- Once you are done you should have the zipper in between the two exterior pieces, flip it over and the back side of the zipper will be in between the two lining pieces.
- Take 3″ ribbon, fold in half, pin it down about 1 1/2″ down from the top on the edge of exterior fabric, and baste into place.
- Fold the case wrong sides together (exteriors facing out), lining up raw edges of the sides and bottom of all layers, pin in place.
- Stitch down all three sides using a 1/4″ seam allowance, pivot at corners.
- Trim seam allowance as close as you can, turn wrong sides out through zippered end, carefully push out corners.
- using a 3/4″ seam allowance, stitch again down all three sides, starting and finishing as close to the zippered ends as possible.
- Turn right side out through the zippered opening, poke out the corners again, press.
- Add carabiner
- Add zipper pull (optional)
Now fill with all your supplies and you are ready for school!